(this advice is not for people who wants to be a doctor , accountant or attorney- obviously)
If you are one of those lucky few not able to study after school, it’s not the end of the world. Yes, you will have to work a bit harder, but getting experience is key. A lot of private companies do not want to spend extra money on salaries and if you are over qualified you will not be employed. Sad but true. I decided to rather get experience, as I do not want to make study loans that I most likely will not be able to pay off and then not get the perfect job.
I decided to choose which field I will be good at. I like organising, writing and doing administrative work. I started to work as a waitress, where I learned to work hard, long hours and dealing with people. I was promoted to being a manager at the restaurant where I learned to manage people and do the admin for the restaurant. After six years (which I see as my study years) I applied for an administration job at a doctor’s room. This was more that I wanted to do. I prefer working normal office hours and being swamped with admin. Now I was where I wanted to be, only needed more pay.
Now, most of us want more. More time and more money. The thing you should always remember- never quit when you don’t have another job. It looks bad on your resume.
Always stay positive and never stop looking for something better.
Here are a few tips to get your dream job without having to study:
- Always be willing to learn. No matter what job kind of job you are at, always learn. Be willing to do more than what you have to do. Yes it’s easy to keep to your job description, but an eager worker will be promoted. If you don’t get promoted, talk to your boss. If you see you will get nowhere, then look out for a company that reward hard workers.
- Be a team player. To be able to work with people, will get to where you want to be. It is difficult sometimes, but fake it till you make it – is my motto. Be nice to people who don’t like you, because then they will be the bad ones at the end. There will always be people who see you as a threat. Especially if they see you are an eager worker.
- You’re not dumb because you don’t have a qualification. I don’t know why some think that if you have not studied your dumb. Focus on what you have to do, and proof them wrong. I’ve learned that you can do anything, if someone show you how to do it.
- Be on time. Be productive in your working hours. Never be late or let personal things interfere with your work times.
- Don’t social after work with co- workers. If it is company related yes, be there but behave. If you social to much with co-workers one drink to many may change your work relationship in a enemy relationship. You need to have a friends at work not enemies. Keep socializing to a limit. My whole life have my friends only been people I worked with and so far it has not interfered with work. There was times when I falled inlove with co- workers, because you spend so much time with them, but it never worked out, and I had to change jobs because of this. It interferes with your future!
- Keep your boss happy. If he/ she wants the sky pink, find ways to make it pink. If you do what you’re supposed to do, your boss won’t have reason to get angry. You need to get at a comfortable space.
- Stay positive. Be energetic and friendly. It sometimes feel impossible, because life happens. If other things affect your work not only will it affect you, but those around you.
- Think of your future. It is important that you decide what you want out of your life. For example I want enough to live of and do things that I saved for. I want to be comfortable, that makes me happy. You can achieve anything if you put your mind to it.
Get a job that will give you something you need to get where you want to be. It is not that difficult and companies are willing to employ people with a positive out of the box personality , even if they don’t have the papers to proof it.
Find soil where you as a person can grow and be happy.